Thursday, June 11, 2009

Night Life

3 am - Mission Street is like I've never seen it. Well, I'm lying. I have seen it this way many times. I said that only for dramatic effect.

The Italian SeaFood place across the street is packed - It is the only place open. The ATMs still have a line. A lone Latino cyclist is biking on the sidewalk.. returning from work, no doubt. The Muni-14 passes by and the sparks from the overhead electric cables are bright and loud. I can hear a couple arguing on the street, but I cant see them. The woman sounds especially drunk. I walk by stores, restaurants and other businesses with their shutters down and lights out, like in India.

Douglas, my connection is waiting for me. He says I am late. I told him that I lost track of time watching a TV show. It was true - only on Hulu, though. I shrug my shoulders - he was going to be conducting his business till 7am anyways, you know. He shows me my stash. I am satisfied.

As I carry it out nervously past a security guard dressed as a cop, I bump my knee hard into the divider between the In and Out doors. I yelp and groan but he laughs. He says that hasnt happened to him yet even though he is old, his eyesight is not so good and he is there everyday.

Well he never was carrying six moving boxes out of the Safeway store, was he?

2 comments:

Indira said...

Nice one :)
You ha me wondering there for a while... :P

Keerthana's Mom said...

Yeah, you actually had me worried! I was thinking, why is he writing this online where people can read it! :)