Thursday, June 4, 2009

Ode to Furniture

So. I have to move out of my apartment by the 15th of this month. I feel a little stressed out about it, I think. Or maybe its the dozen other things that I have to deal with at the moment?

In any case, I''ve put my furniture up for sale. When I was moving to the City from the South Bay , I'd looked for a room big enough to hold my couch because I liked it so much. Luckily I found one which could hold my coffee table as well. The table is beautiful and has wooden flaps on the top which open out to form a nice big sit-down floor table which is perfect for cozy dinner parties or board game nights.

Yesterday, I sold it to a couple who'd just moved from Georgia a week back. They were totally excited about it and moved it into their car within five minutes of seeing it. It made me wonder if I had asked for too little. One of my friends then mentioned later that he could've used it and I felt the hurt. Giving it to a friend meant I could've got it back. How can I be so attached to some piece of furniture. Is it the memories associated with it? Or is it because I just lost a chunk of money and it'd been a bad investment? Or is it giving up hoping to move into an apartment for myself? Or is it just me being materialistic? I am not a good mover at all.

Tomorrow, somebody is coming to look at the couch. And I think it'll get sold. It feels like the end of something. I have no idea of what, though.

4 comments:

Sangeetha said...

Oh, I totally understand! But think about it this way...you made a couple from Georgia very happy. That has to be good, right? Here's hoping there is lots more good furniture coming your way :)

On The Move said...

Sangeetha, you are right about your stuff being appreciated. Thats what you hope for.
The couch is gone too now. I just helped move it. It was a heavy-ass couch and the door is tiny. It was a tough carry. I feel relieved.

This happened in funnier circumstances, though. The guy buying it blocked the garage entrance with his car. So one of the apartment folks getting out couldnt. And he was totally pissed at me.
And then after moving the couch into the car, I realized I'd locked myself out of the building.

And began buzzing all the apartments in the building hoping somebody would open it. One man came down, looked at me and he said he cant open the door. I was telling him that the door to my house is still open because I was moving the couch out. And he could check. But he kept muttering to himself saying he cant open the door and left. Luckily, somebody else buzzed me in. :)

So, I'd disturbed the daily routine of half the apartment folk today. WooHoo!

Jyo Girl said...

End of something also means beginning of something new!! Here's to all the new things that will happen soon :)

On The Move said...

Thanks, JyoGirl. Here's to new beginnings!