Monday, April 27, 2009

Stairways of San Francisco

So. I was going to blog on the Bart, for the first time, from my phone. But the browser would not recognize the text-entry box(?) and I couldn't.
When I got back home I couldnt remember what it was that I wanted to write about anymore. I had to go back to my phone to see if the blog title was still there. And the title, as you can see/read is "Stairways of San Francisco".
I found a book about them in my house. It is my house-mate's and I've seen it a few times before , but back then I had no free time whatsoever. And socializing always took precedence over tourist-ing. Since I still feel like a tourist here and I've been so burrowed in the Mission neighborhood, I've been looking for ways to see more of the city. And this book seems like a treasure-map for such idle activity. Reading the book I realized that without knowing it, I've already been on four such stairway walks.
- One is in Bernal Heights. I found it when I first moved here and decided to walk up to the top of the hill. I ran into this beautiful garden which lead into a staircase which kept cutting through people's backyards, trees, streets to get to the hill. It was really amazing.
- Another was the stairway somewhere close to the Embarcadero leading up to the Coit Tower, which is famous, anyway. I walked there from the Farmer's Market at the Ferry Building, so it cant be that hard to find.
- Another was in Potrero Hill which I ran into when I got lost looking for a room to rent. I remember thinking that this is really weird. But I have no idea where it was and dont remember what I saw, though.
- The last one is part of the Grand Walk near Cliff House in Outer Richmond which shows up after a short, beautiful hike through some awesome views of the coast and of the Golden Gate Bridge. I didnt finish climbing this one because both the times I was there, the light was fading and I had to walk back soon.
So, I want to go explore one more stairway during the week. I was looking for somebody to go with but I didnt find any, which sucks. Truly sucks. Who knows though, there is still time..

----
PS : My favorite part of the Bart ride every morning to the South Bay is the stretch near Daly City. The train is so high up that there is, for a brief moment, an illusion of flying in a plane. And the sudden appearance of thick fog also makes it easy for you to pretend that its not just a drab workplace you are headed towards, but rather you are on a long journey through a different Dickensian world/age..Too bad, it just doesnt last very long.

0 comments: